Saturday, July 05, 2008

Fourth of July

Currently Listening To: One Pure Thought by Hot Chip



For some reason, I always seem to end up ranting about holidays for one reason or another; Independence Day is no exception.

In short, I have a problem with this holiday. And no, it has nothing to do with my attitudes toward patriotism, or the State of the Union or what have you; I just don't like how we celebrate.

Fireworks are
  • Not an American invention, nor are they strongly associated with America. Everyone shoots off fireworks.
  • Fucking boring. You get like five colors and five "designs" or whatever. Thirty to forty-five minutes of alternating colors and styles? I'll pass.
  • Not even exclusive to this particular holiday! Fireworks are also a New Years thing, in case you were completely oblivious.
I was fascinated by this shit when I was in elementary school. Yet everyone else is completely snowed by the flashing lights and loud noises. This means, of course, that I am superior to 'everyone else', particularly when it comes to brain function. I AM BETTER THAN YOU.

Well, no. I'm just not interested. Find something to liven up the shindig or kick to to the curb!!

Well, no. I love America. I just don't like fireworks.

2 comments:

Bomber said...

Are there really fireworks that make smiley faces? I've never seen these. My life is incomplete!

Yedna said...

I'm envious of your full head of hair and youthful complexion CD. You and Beck Hanson.

My wife, on the other hand, tends to admire guys who look like they've been in one too many street fights. If Donny Wahlberg or Mickey Rourke move to New Hampshire she's leaving me for sure!