Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Can Feel My Mouth Once More

Currently Listening To: For Us by Pete Yorn
I went to the dentist today. I don't mind the dentist. If you look back at my first five posts, one of them is about my TRUE mortal enemy, orthodontia. Dentistry is acceptable. Besides, I got to miss two classes today. Any day when I get to miss my English class is a success. So anyways, we get to the dentist and I go sit down; everything is normal. Then the dentist shows up. I open my mouth, because it's, well, the dentist. That's what you do. But then he starts swabbing my gums with this funky shit, followed by a needle. My mouth goes numb. The nurse (Is that what they're called? I think they have a special title, but they are basically nurses) asks me if I'm okay, since I wasn't saying anything.



Oh. Fuck.



Nothing can make someone feel less okay than "Are you okay?" except for something like "Your puppy just fell into a tree shredder." That would straight up ruin your day. Anyways, needles in my gums. Oh snap. I was just expecting a check-up, not this shit. And what is this shit? The entire time, I was thinking "I'm getting a root canal BY MISTAKE." I've never wanted to be one of those people on those "Botched Medicine" shows, and that was about to be me. The two of them fiddle around a bit in my mouth with Hostel-esque tools. Then he leaves. The nurse-lady takes this time to attempt to instill more confidence in me in this situation, again causing me to lose conifdence. I hate needles. He could be injecting me with undilluted liquid awesome and I still wouldn't go for it.

Long story short, it turns out I was getting a cavity filled. Psh. No big deal. Not like it was visible. Were the needles entire necesary? I can distinctly recall getting one filled in like second grade, with no needles, no sketchy swabs, and some disgusting pineapple flavor. What is this, Hell? Oh wait, super-conservative metro Atlanta is the border between Hell and Atlanta.

No comments: