Thursday, July 26, 2007

Epic Belch

Currently Listening To: In The Backseat by Arcade Fire (I listen to some pretentious music)
I just burped a magnificent burp that smelled reminiscent of a hookah bar.

I woke up this morning and smelled the distinct odor I've come to identify as school smell. It's the aroma that can be detected during the season known as "Back-to-school". It may be that this is what this time of the year smells like regardless of school, merely the scent of summer turning into fall. Maybe it has to do with a change in the atmoshpere of cleaning supplies, shifting from whatever amusement parks and movie theaters use to whatever schools use. Maybe it's the smell of fear and uncertainty about the upcoming year. I can't possibly know for sure until the fall of 2012, when I will have officially ended my schooling.

But I'm not going to wait that long to find out, because frankly, I don't care. I'm more distracted by the hookah bar that has occupied my mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the ole back to school smell...you will always recognize it. This morning it enveloped me as I stepped out the door. It is gentle, prescient, but not for certain. When I hear the crickets, however, I know there is no escaping - school IS right around the corner. I'm glad to not be teaching.